Designer jewellery is more than just an accessory. It is an extension of thoughts, creeds, feelings, and most importantly, of how you perceive yourself.
1. First of all, when you buy a designer piece: choose it wholeheartedly. You can’t ever go wrong with that. There’s something inside you that will choose that piece, as it speaks to it. Designer jewellery means first and foremost concept, idea. That’s why, once the message is deciphered, there’s no other way of choosing it.
2. Follow catalogues, websites and reviews of jewellery design and about your favourite jewellers. Try learning and descovering designer jewellery in its own context. Don’t mind trends, nor stylists. Trust your intuition.
3. Attend those events dedicated to jewellery where you can have a dialogue with jewellery makers. Fairs and exhibitions are a great occasion in this case. You can always meet new designers or people passionate about designer jewellery.
4. Mix the pieces of well-known designers with jewellery made by upcoming artists.
5. When you get the chance, try purchasing the jewellery straight from designers or from the dedicated galleries. Designer jewellery is a form of art that has nothing to do with mass market. Wearing it can be both a statement and a cultural act on its own.
6. The size, the glow and the weight do not matter. A designer piece can be small, perishable and even ephemerous. Sometimes, one can invest only in ideas not as well in materials.
7. Buy from local designers. Their jewellery is made by themselves, so they are made in the country that you live in. Invest in the local creation, hence participating at the well-being and attractiveness of the city you inhabit.
8. Buying straight from designers, artists or the galleries that represent them, you become a player and an active supporter of contemporary jewellery market.
9. Do not ask for a discount if you are not buying in a bulk. Jewellery is a form of art, its value may rise in time.
10. Stay curious. Jewellery courses or workshops may help you understand and appreciate better designer jewellery.
11. Designer jewellery reaches finality when it starts being worn. Keep an active dialogue with designers and offer them feedback. This may help them evolve and perfect their technique and creativity.
Dan Pierșinaru, initiator and organiser of the Platform for Contemporary Jewellery Autor.